Home Forum Topics Wellness + Nutrition Periods and Their Affect on Weight Loss

• This Post has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by .
  • Creator
    MaryKate SelgrathMaryKate

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share a huge game changer for me on my weight loss journey. A few months ago I watched James Smith’s video on the affect periods and the menstrual cycle have one weight loss and it completely changed my view on things.

I’ve been yo-yo dieting since I was in high school (I’m 24 now) and could never find a way to sustainably lose weight. I think a huge part of this is that NO ONE tells you that your menstrual cycle can have a HUGE impact on your weight loss and your approach.

I’ve dropped the link below – James explains this way better than I can! If anyone is struggling and in a vicious cycle of dieting hard for a few weeks and then giving up, I definitely recommend watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfNXJt4_MoQ

P.S. it’s also WILD to me that I finally received this information from a MAN…I’ve shared it with almost every woman in my life because it was so eye-opening, and all of them had the same reaction of “holy shit I had no idea about this” which is so FRUSTRATING.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #4751 Reply

Also, while your menstrual cycle may not affect weight gain or loss, losing or gaining weight can affect your menstrual cycle. Women who lose too much weight or lose weight too quickly may stop having a period, or have irregular periods. Women who have obesity may also have irregular periods.

• #4645 Reply
        Melina QOlivia

Exercising during menstruation can help with weight management and can alleviate some of the discomfort associated with menstrual symptoms. However, the type and intensity of exercise may vary from person to person, as some individuals may experience more severe symptoms. Here are some exercise options to consider during menstruation:

1. Aerobic Exercises: Light to moderate aerobic exercises like walking, swimming, or cycling can help increase blood flow and reduce cramps. These exercises are generally safe and effective during menstruation.
          2. Yoga: Gentle yoga poses and stretches can help relieve menstrual cramps and promote relaxation. Restorative or Yin yoga poses are particularly beneficial.
          3. Pilates: Pilates exercises can strengthen your core and improve flexibility without putting excessive strain on your body. This can be especially helpful if you experience lower back pain during your period.
          4. Strength Training: Strength training exercises, especially those targeting the lower body (like squats and lunges), can help build muscle and boost metabolism, aiding in weight loss. However, it’s essential to choose weights and exercises that are comfortable for you during your period.
          5. Cardiovascular Workouts: If you have the energy and feel up to it, light to moderate cardio workouts, such as jogging or dancing, can help burn calories and boost your mood. Listen to your body and avoid intense workouts if they cause discomfort.
          6. Stretching: Gentle stretching exercises can help relieve tension and improve flexibility. Focus on stretching your lower back, hips, and thighs, which can be particularly tight during menstruation.
          7. Breathing Exercises: Deep breathing exercises can help reduce stress and ease cramps. Try diaphragmatic breathing or meditation techniques to relax and de-stress.

Remember that the key during menstruation is to listen to your body. If you experience severe pain or discomfort, it’s okay to take a break from exercise or opt for gentler forms of movement. Staying hydrated and maintaining a balanced diet with adequate iron and nutrients is also essential during your period to support your overall health and energy levels. Always consult with a healthcare provider or fitness professional if you have specific concerns or conditions that may affect your exercise routine.

• #4426 Reply
          Alice royeAlice roye
          Participant

Periods can affect weight loss in several ways. Here are some examples:

1. Water retention: Many women experience water retention during their menstrual cycle, which can lead to temporary weight gain. This is due to hormonal changes that can cause the body to retain fluids.

2. Increased appetite: Some women experience increased appetite and food cravings during their period, which can lead to overeating and difficulty with weight loss.

3. Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle can also affect metabolism and energy levels, making it harder to lose weight.

4. Mood changes: Mood changes, such as depression or anxiety, can also affect weight loss efforts by causing changes in eating habits or motivation to exercise.

While periods can make weight loss more challenging, it is still possible to lose weight during this time. Here are some tips:

1. Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help reduce water retention and bloating.

2. Stick to a healthy diet: Eating a balanced diet and avoiding sugary and processed foods can help manage cravings and support weight loss.

3. Exercise regularly: Regular exercise can help improve mood, boost metabolism, and support weight loss efforts.

4. Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep can help regulate hormones and support healthy metabolism.

It’s important to remember that weight loss is a gradual process that requires consistency and patience. If you are struggling with weight loss during your period, consider speaking with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian for personalized guidance. I definitely recommend Visiting it. Heal360

• #1347 Reply
            Laurie Beth KollerLaurie Beth Koller
            Participant

OMG – I just watched. This is wild. I am truly passing this video on to all my cousins and aunts right now.

Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          Reply To: Periods and Their Affect on Weight Loss
          Your information: