Home Forum Topics Mental Health Severe PMS Mood Swings

• Creator
    Lindsey

I’ve always been on some form of birth control since high school and around the age of 24/25 I took notice of how irritated/angry and overly emotional I would get in the week before my period. I would pick fights and get upset about things that outside of PMS I would never give energy to. Because of this, about a year ago I decided to go off of birth control (at age 26) to see if it effected these mood swings. In the time since then, I feel the mood swings may have gotten worse! In the week before my period, during, and sometimes in the days after I become extremely depressed/tearful, anxious, and hopeless to the point where it effects the ability to do my job and causes tension in my relationship. On some days I cycle through being happy, anxious, sad, and back to happy again. I get extremely agitated and irritated over very small things. Once my period ends, these feelings subside and it’s like I can think clearly and rationally again. Has anyone else experienced this severe form of PMS mood swings and if so, what have you done about it? I started taking Flo PMS vitamins because i’m desperate for some sort of solution!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #1448 Reply
        Caroline FoshagCaroline Foshag
        Participant

I can so relate. Every time I am about to get a period I tend to sink into a depression and my anxiety is off the charts. The worst part of this is that I always forget that these slump periods coincide with my period cycle. So I can often ruminate and beat myself up over feeling this way for what appears to be a total symptom of PMS. I would always say to myself  “my life is great, I have a job, why can’t I just be happy!!!” It wasn’t until I started tracking my cycle with an app that I realized- wow these monthly slumps MUST be hormone related. I haven’t had my period in some time due to breastfeeding but when I get it back I’m sure these symptoms and “slumps” will return. I will work to find relief and post about what helps me deal with this!

• #944 Reply
          tb7

I have dealt with the same thing. I got off birth control about a month ago (side note: did your OBGYN just say stop it cold turkey because that is what mind said and that seems weird AF to me) because I was so emotional.I cried every day and felt like I had no control over my emotions. At my boyfriend’s suggestion I started looking into birth control.That is when my friend introduced me to this book called Beyond the Pill by Dr. Brighten. I would highly suggest you check it out.

She says in her book that about three months after you stop taking BC you can have PBCS (post-birth control syndrome) which you might want to read more about to see if it is happening to you.You can always check out her website or IG if you don’t feel like reading the whole book but I found it very informative and helpful.

I haven’t hit 3 months yet but I’ll let you know how it goes for me. Did anyone else get off BC and have their baby fever amp up like 1,000%???

• #813 Reply
            CDF

I have been on birth control since I was 13?? I’m now 28. I’m still on the pill as well, but over the years I have definitely seen my anxiety heighten, extreme mood swings, reduced sex drive etc. I’m now on anti-anxiety medication which has definitely helped to manage. I too think part of it is my personality (I’m what you’d call “passionate” lol), but I can’t help but think it has something to do with the pill and my diet too. I resonate with the inability to focus / work, irrational thinking…thank you for sharing!

• #806 Reply
              MaryKate SelgrathMaryKate

Hi! I’ve definitely experienced something really similar to this, except I am still on birth control. I’ve been on the pill since I was about 15 to control my acne. I had NO IDEA until about 1 year ago that birth control could affect your mood that much (I’m 24 now). For the majority of my adult life I’ve been told I’m “moody” or that I am “bad at controlling my emotions” – I always just assumed that was a part of my personality. Now I’m wondering if it’s actually a part of who I am or if the pill is a part of the cause. I’m nervous to go off of birth control because at least right now I know what and when to expect my moods for the most part. I’m worried that going off the pill or changing it could make things worse.

I just feel like overall I’m not educated enough on what to do about this – I had no idea that vitamins like that even existed. I might give those a try and see what happens. I also just scheduled an appointment with my gyno so that I can have a real conversation about this with her. I feel like this is something that needs to be talked about more! Thank you for sharing.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            Reply To: Reply #813 in Severe PMS Mood Swings
            Your information:

Cancel