Home Forum Topics Persistent Pain Pain in lower abdomen

• Creator
    SM

I had a pain on my lower left abdomen (right along the hip line)for two years. It was a very dull discomfort and doctor’s dismissed it. Eventually I started to experience a shooting pain across my lower abdomen when I would stand up after peeing. I went to a GI doctor who didn’t find anything during a colonoscopy so he recommended I go back to my gyno to get checked out. I had already had an ultrasound when the pain first started so I didn’t think anything would come of it. But this gyno went a step further and did a PELVIC ultrasound which allowed them to see that a teratoma (dermoid cyst) had formed on my ovary. The teratoma was attached to my right ovary but since these cysts tend to be the size of a grapefruit, it isn’t shocking that the pain was across the lower abdomen.

Even after my surgery to remove the cyst, I still experience mild discomfort on the left side of my abdomen so there is a chance the two were not related (I’ve actually had success seeing a chiropractor in helping the pain so I believe it may be muscular), but the shooting pain went away. If you’re having consistent pain in your lower abdomen make sure you’re asking about the pelvic ultrasound as well.

** fyi Teratomas are almost always benign (including mine) but the sooner you catch them the better. Unfortunately, mine cut off blood flow to my right ovary and I had to have that removed (it was also stuck to my appendix so they removed that too).

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #5275 Reply
        Raosaheb AmbekarRaosaheb Ambekar
        Participant

<div class=”relative py-2 px-4 bg-n-bg-neutral-strong”>
          <div class=”group w-full @3xl/cs:mx-auto max-w-[720px]”>
          <div id=”c5306794-2ef0-4fd8-8f2e-ec53668b846f” class=”flex-col @3xl/cs:flex w-full gap-1″>
          <div class=”grow flex flex-col min-w-[0] @3xl/cs:ml-8 mt-2 @3xl/cs:mt-0″>
          <div class=”prose text-n-text-default prose-strong:font-semibold prose-strong:text-n-text-strong prose-ul:my-2 prose-ul:text-n-text-default prose-li:my-0 prose-li:text-n-text-default prose-p:my-2 prose-p:text-n-text-default prose-headings:text-xl prose-headings:mb-4 prose-headings:mt-2 prose-headings:font-semibold prose-headings:text-n-text-strong prose-table:break-words prose-th:align-top prose-table:text-n-text-default default-dark:prose-code:text-n-grey-1100-dark css-2t6kec”>
          <div class=”chatsonic with-pre-wrap”>

Experiencing pain in the lower abdomen can stem from various causes, ranging from digestive issues to gynecological problems. It’s important to consider the following potential reasons for this discomfort:

1. Gastrointestinal Issues:
            • Conditions such as constipation, gas, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), or gastroenteritis can lead to lower abdominal pain.
          2. Gynecological Problems:
            • Menstrual cramps, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, or pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) are among the gynecological issues that can cause lower abdominal pain in women.
          3. Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs):
            • Infections in the urinary tract, such as cystitis or bladder infections, can lead to pain in the lower abdomen.
          4. Reproductive System Issues:
            • In men, conditions affecting the reproductive system, such as prostatitis or epididymitis, can cause lower abdominal pain.
          5. Musculoskeletal Causes:
            • Muscle strain, hernias, or other musculoskeletal issues can also manifest as lower abdominal discomfort.

It’s crucial to seek medical advice if the pain is severe, persistent, or accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, vomiting, or blood in the stool or urine. A healthcare professional can provide an accurate diagnosis and recommend appropriate treatment based on the underlying cause of the pain.

</div>
          </div>
          </div>
          </div>
          </div>
          </div>

• #5274 Reply
          Raosaheb AmbekarRaosaheb Ambekar
          Participant

Experiencing pain in the lower abdomen can stem from various causes, ranging from digestive issues to gynecological problems. It’s important to consider the following potential reasons for this discomfort:

1. Gastrointestinal Issues:
              • Conditions such as constipation, gas, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), or gastroenteritis can lead to lower abdominal pain.
            2. Gynecological Problems:
              • Menstrual cramps, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, or pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) are among the gynecological issues that can cause lower abdominal pain in women.
            3. Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs):
              • Infections in the urinary tract, such as cystitis or bladder infections, can lead to pain in the lower abdomen.
            4. Reproductive System Issues:
              • In men, conditions affecting the reproductive system, such as prostatitis or epididymitis, can cause lower abdominal pain.
            5. Musculoskeletal Causes:
              • Muscle strain, hernias, or other musculoskeletal issues can also manifest as lower abdominal discomfort.

It’s crucial to seek medical advice if the pain is severe, persistent, or accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, vomiting, or blood in the stool or urine. A healthcare professional can provide an accurate diagnosis and recommend appropriate treatment based on the underlying cause of the pain.

• #1285 Reply
            Laurie Beth KollerLaurie Beth Koller
            Participant

Hi SM,

I know it all too well. I suffered from similar symptoms for over 12 years and then finally was diagnosed with endometriosis. I will say this sounds very, very close to my endo pain.

I would get SHARP pains and almost like numbing pains. Has your gyno looked into endo before? The discomfort could also be caused by endo.

I had smaller cysts and they are truly the worst. I also had my appendix removed because of them. Something that has helped me a lot is Pelvic PT.

– LB

Viewing 2 reply threads
          Reply To: Reply #1285 in Pain in lower abdomen
          Your information:

Cancel