Home Forum Topics Wellness + Nutrition Intermittent Fasting

• Creator
    Casey

I am super interested in learning more about intermittent fasting. Does anyone have any tips? Best time windows, do you only eat certain foods?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
      Replies
      • #4675 Reply
        Melina QMelina Q
        Participant

Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern that involves alternating periods of fasting (not eating) with periods of eating. It has gained popularity for potential health benefits, including weight management and improved metabolic health. Here are some tips and insights to help you get started with intermittent fasting:

1. Choose an Intermittent Fasting Method:
            • 16/8 Method: This involves fasting for 16 hours each day and limiting your eating to an 8-hour window.
            • 5:2 Method: You eat normally for 5 days of the week and restrict calorie intake to around 500-600 calories on the other 2 non-consecutive days.
            • Eat-Stop-Eat: This method involves fasting for a full 24 hours once or twice a week.
            • Alternate-Day Fasting: You alternate between fasting days and regular eating days.
          2. Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water, herbal tea, or black coffee (without added sugar or cream) during fasting periods to stay hydrated.
          3. Balanced Diet on Eating Days: Focus on eating a balanced diet with a variety of foods on your non-fasting days. Include plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats.
          4. Avoid Overeating: While intermittent fasting doesn’t restrict specific foods, it’s important not to overcompensate for fasting by consuming excessive calories during your eating window.
          5. Listen to Your Body: Pay attention to your hunger cues. If you feel extremely hungry or unwell during fasting, it’s okay to adjust your fasting schedule or choose a different method.
          6. Start Gradually: If you’re new to fasting, consider starting with a shorter fasting window and gradually increasing it as your body adapts.
          7. Timing Matters: Choose a fasting window that aligns with your lifestyle and preferences. Some people find it easier to skip breakfast and have their eating window in the afternoon and evening, while others prefer different timings.
          8. Stay Consistent: Consistency is key to seeing potential benefits. Try to stick to your chosen intermittent fasting schedule.
          9. Monitor Your Progress: Keep track of how you feel, your energy levels, and any changes in your weight or body composition. This can help you adjust your approach as needed.
          10. Consult a Healthcare Professional: If you have any underlying health conditions or concerns, it’s a good idea to consult with a healthcare provider before starting intermittent fasting to ensure it’s safe for you.

Remember that intermittent fasting may not be suitable for everyone, and its effectiveness can vary from person to person. It’s important to find an approach that works for your individual needs and lifestyle. If you’re unsure where to start, consider consulting a registered dietitian or nutritionist for personalized guidance.

• #884 Reply
          Vy FerereVF
          Participant

Hi Casey –

I do intermittent fasting for a couple of months now. My norm has always been that dinner I love and I can live without breakfast. So I start eating around noon and try to eat my dinner around 6:30-7:30 window. I’ve read somewhere that for women we need to have a longer window to eat from 10am-7pm. I say try a couple of time frames that work for you and make you feel good.

I have a friend that will eat at 10am, lunch at 2pm and dinner at 6pm and it works for her.

I try to eat my meals that are home cooked and not processed but of course, I will have times where I will live and eat what I love. I downloaded the app Noom and it helped me understand how many calories I was intaking and how I can balance my meals that included ice cream and cake + exercising aka walking. I don’t pay for the services anymore however it made me build healthy habits and I was able to lose 12lbs and keep it off. I’m happy to go into more details if you have any questions.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Vy FerereVF.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        Reply To: Reply #884 in Intermittent Fasting
        Your information:

Cancel