Home Forum Topics Gynecologic Health Ingrown Hairs

• This Post has 8 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by K.
  • Creator
    MaryKate SelgrathMaryKate

Does anyone else get really bad ingrown hairs in their pubic area? I get HORRIBLE ingrown hairs every time I shave and they honestly pretty out of control. They swell up and hurt pretty bad. I’ve switched to a trimmer and that seems to help but I do prefer shaving – it’s just not worth it. I’ve tried every cream, lotion, etc out there.

When I was younger and this happened I went to my gyno because I thought it was a cyst and she essentially just drained it – now I have a permanent scar and to be honest – it still swells up sometimes. They go in cycles of swelling up and then seemingly “going away” but they eventually come back. I feel like its not worth it to go to the doctor if they can’t really do anything about it and its just going to continue to be painful, but it’s incredibly frustrating.

If anyone has any advice, experience, etc. please share! Open to anything at this point.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #1458 Reply
        K

Every time I would shave I’d get ingrown hairs all over my bikini line, I was always so embarrassed to wear a bathing suit or change/try on clothes in front of anyone since I thought it looked so gross. After many years of shaving, occasionally waxing (but never sticking to it because I hated letting it grow so much to get waxed again), nair, ingrown hair serums, etc., I finally splurged on laser hair removal and it is LIFE CHANGING. Definitely a pricy option, but SO worth the cost since it pretty much lasts forever once you finish all the sessions. I completed a majority of the total sessions but then COVID hit and I haven’t been able to go in months to finish up all the sessions you need for it to be fully permanent, so I occasionally have to shave, but I still have absolutely no ingrown hairs. Would highly recommend laser!!!

• #964 Reply

I had considered going to the dermatologist but never really pulled the trigger because I was so discourage by my gyno. This is very helpful, thank you!

• #962 Reply
            Michelle Hernandezmh25
            Participant

I am currently going through the same issue! I have an in-grown related cyst that has been consistently swelling and draining for the past 2 years! After a recent visit to the gyno, where she told me there is not much I can do, she suggested visiting the dermatologist mainly because she was worried the ingrown could get infected and cause a bigger issue.

I visited the dermatologist last week and they did a preliminary check-in on the issue. I’m currently taking an antibiotic to help the swelling go down (it has subsided quite drastically), but I have my follow up tomorrow! I’ll follow up with any new info they may give me tomorrow, but I would say it’s worth a visit to the dermatologist if they are getting too painful or are reappearing constantly.

• #955 Reply
              AR

I’ve ALWAYS had terrible ingrowns. I would get so insecure whenever I put on a bikini because of the bumps in my bikini area. This has always been a struggle but one thing that has really helped is sugaring instead of waxing. It’s a clean solution and leaves me with no bumps afterwards!

The only issue for me is when the hair starts to grow back – particularly at the top of my bikini area and on my happy trail, the ingrowns are nearly unavoidable. The hair grows parallel to my skin and then I would get scabs which are not cute. My derm helped me out with Veltin which is a gel I put on everyday, but I have a feeling I’ll need to laser for a long term solution

• #898 Reply
                Samantha

This has happened to me too! It’s really bad when I shave and I still get ingrown hairs when I wax.

Nair sensitive bikini works has worked best for me — the smell isn’t amazing but I’ve gotten pretty used to it. I leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then just wash it and the hair off. When the hair grows back, the ingrowns are minimal and heal pretty quickly.

One of my friends recommended this product called fur – and said that the ingrown cream is amazing. I haven’t tried it yet.

• #895 Reply
                  Madeline OleszkiewiczMadeline O

Definitely try waxing!! Take an Aleve/Advil before to help with the pain and just remember pain is temporary!! The first few waxes are always a little painful but you just close your eyes and breathe through it and it will be over before you know it 🙂

• #894 Reply

Thank you for the tips!! I have been wanting to try waxing but I am so scared!! Maybe I just need to go for it to see if it helps. I’ll have to go through and do the underwear overhaul as well – I hadn’t thought about it when I workout! Thank you!

• #873 Reply
                      Madeline OleszkiewiczMadeline O

Yes!! This is me to a T. I get so self conscious in bikinis and when getting intimate with my boyfriend. Sometimes they feel just like awful pimples that just won’t go away. I’ve tried all the alcohol rubs, ointments, etc. and they work to an extent but the thing that has really helped me the most is exfoliating and moisturizing!

I stopped shaving and permanently switched to waxing (which has been very hard to maintain during a pandemic). I first did sugaring and my ‘sugaristas’ gave me a lot of great tips. I bought an exfoliating mitt that I keep hanging in my shower and I exfoliate my pubic area about every other day. This really helps get rid of all the dead skin. (I also throw my exfoliating mitt in the washer every week-2 weeks to keep it clean and it’s very easy). But takes patience!! They also recommended tea tree oil and rosehip oil which I use a small combination of and lather it up and then top it with ingrown hair ointments or pimple spot treatment. I used to be scared of moisturizers and oils and putting them there because I thought the bacteria would continue to grow with the moisture, but it really helps keep the skin and hair soft and prevents the dead skin buildup. I also stopped sugaring and now go to European Wax Center because I get much better results and lasts longer.

Lastly, I completely got rid of all of my Lacey underwear and only wear cotton. Lace is the devil lol. I work out every single day (and used to do hot yoga before the pandemic) and all of the sweat and moisture down there makes it 10x worse. I also don’t like to wear cotton when working out so important to shower right away and switch into cotton underwear to allow the area to breathe.

All of this has not completely solved my ingrown hair issues. I still get them but it is definitely not has bad as it used to be.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    Reply To: Reply #962 in Ingrown Hairs
                    Your information:

Cancel